Jury finds Longmont man, who was acquitted of murder in 2015, not guilty of assault – Colorado Hometown Weekly

[ad_1]

A man who was acquitted by jurors of the 2014 murder of a Lafayette man has again been acquitted — this time for a 2017 assault.

Moises Mendez, 31, pleaded not guilty to second-degree assault, causing seriously bodily harm and third-degree assault, reckless cause of injury in connection to an incident involving a coworker at a Longmont car detailing shop. Following a three-day trial, that was delayed after originally being scheduled in June, the  jury on Thursday found Mendez was not guilty.

Boulder County District Attorney Michael Dougherty responded to the trial’s outcome.

“We appreciate the victim’s courage in coming forward and all the work that went into this assault case,” Dougherty said in an email. “We are grateful to the jury for their service and respect their verdict.”

The events leading to Mendez’s arrest occurred on Nov. 3, 2017. According to an arrest affidavit, Mendez was working at a car detailing shop in Longmont when a coworker asked if he was ready for another car. The question prompted Mendez to yell at the coworker and shove him to the ground, causing a closed compression fracture in his second lumbar vertebra.

While the coworker was lying on the ground, Mendez yelled “I’m from the streets. You need to respect me. I’ve been to jail,” according to the affidavit.

The victim told police Mendez then took off his shirt and said, “I’m not afraid of jail. I have done stuff. You should be afraid and need to respect me.”

Mendez and the coworker were the only two people in the garage at the time, but another coworker told police he saw Mendez yelling at the coworker. The coworker did not initially report the incident, because he said he was afraid of Mendez, according to the affidavit.

Mendez was later fired from the garage because the owner said he had “issues with him.”

Prior to the assault, Mendez was arrested in 2014 and identified as a suspect in the murder of 25-year-old Nathaniel Tallman, of Lafayette. Mendez and Daniel Ortiz were charged on suspicion of felony first-degree murder and robbery after Tallman’s body was found on a roadside in Wyoming. An autopsy determined Tallman had been shot to death in what was reported as a drug deal ambush.

Prosecutors indicated they believed Mendez shot Tallman. Mendez and Ortiz were charged with the murder because police said Tallman was killed in the commission of a felony robbery. The defense, however, honed in on the credibility of witness Russell Britton, and suggested he may have been the culprit. Britton, who was initially charged in Tallman’s murder, took a plea deal and was sentenced to 15 years in prison for accessory to crime and robbery.

Following the three-week trial in 2015, jurors deliberated for three hours, before returning not guilty verdicts for both Mendez and Ortiz.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *