Freezing temperatures and snowfall are delaying school start times Wednesday across Boulder County, while Adams 12 school district, which serves Broomfield, will be closed.
The St. Vrain Valley School District, which serves Longmont and the surrounding communities, will start 2½ hours late, according to a news release sent Tuesday night by Kerri McDermid, the district’s spokesperson.
The release added that if parents have issues with transportation in their area, they can call the school and request excused absences for their children. Students will be able to make up missed school work without penalty if they are not able to attend Wednesday due to the weather. For further details, she encouraged people to visit the district’s website at svvsd.org/schools/school-closings.
Boulder Valley School District also announced a two-hour delayed start time for Wednesday, according to a news release sent Tuesday night by district spokesperson Randy Barber. District officials said they hoped the delay would improve driving conditions and give snowplows a chance to clear the roads.
The Boulder Valley news release also highlighted several changes to school activities.
Community Schools Program
- Early Connections will open at 8 a.m.
- Morning School Age Care Programs are canceled
- Color Me Smart Preschool Childcare: Will begin at the two-hour delay time with the rest of the school.
Food Service Protocol
- Breakfast will be canceled at all schools
- Lunch be served at normal times.
- Snack and other after-school food programs will proceed as usual
- Morning half-day preschool and morning half-day enrichment at Mapleton Early Childhood Center is canceled.
- Afternoon half-day enrichment at Mapleton Early Childhood Center will begin at 11 a.m. and there will only be busing at the end of the school day.
- Full-day kindergarten and full-day preschool will start two hours after their normal start time.
- Canceled: Morning athletic practices and morning classes at Boulder TEC
- Morning ARHS buses will run on a two-hour delay.
- Afternoon Boulder TEC and Arapahoe High School classes and buses will run on their normal schedule.
Additionally, the city of Boulder announced all city offices will be on a delayed start, opening at 10 a.m. Wednesday, including the Boulder Public Library and Parks and Recreation facilities.