The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health announced six new deaths and 344 new cases of the novel coronavirus Saturday, March 28.

Over the prior 48 hours, officials reported 601 new cases. The county’s total tally since the public-health crisis began is now 1,804 cases and 32 deaths from the coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19.

“We are sad to announce six additional deaths from COVID-19 today,” the county’s public health director, Dr. Barbara Ferrer, said in a statement. “More than ever, it is crucial that we practice social distancing, and if we are sick, even with mild illness, we make every effort to self-isolate from others for at least seven days.”

As of Saturday, 22% of the people who had tested positive for the virus had been hospitalized.

The 1,804 cases LA County reported Saturday did not include 13 new cases reported in Long Beach or one case Pasadena reported Thursday. The LA County report has generally lagged behind those cities, which each operate their own health departments and compile their own individual counts.

Saturday’s announcement came as beaches throughout the county were shuttered to prevent the further spread of COVID-19.

“The crowds we saw at our beaches last weekend were unacceptable,” County Supervisor Janice Hahn said in a Friday statement announcing the beach closures. “I understand that this is a huge sacrifice for everyone who enjoys going to our beaches. But we cannot risk another sunny weekend with crowds at the beach spreading this virus.”



Source link