A 29-year-old man was found severely burned after a fire at a Mead Valley home that had a butane honey-oil lab on the property, sheriff’s deputies said.
Law enforcement was called just after 1:15 a.m. Sunday , Oct. 27, to the home in the 21900 block of Cedar Street in Mead Valley, south of Riverside, to help Cal Fire-Riverside County firefighters investigate the blaze.
Arturo Gutierrez was found at the home with severe burns to his upper body, Sgt. Orlando Castañeda said.
Along with the butane honey-oil lab, deputies found 501 marijuana plants and 67.5 pounds of processed marijuana that was confiscated, Castañeda said.
Honey oil contains a high amount of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. The most common way to process it is to use a solvent such as butane to strip the marijuana buds of their THC.
Butane is highly flammable and can ignite from a spark from a light bulb, a pilot light or a water heater with devastating results.