If you are like thousands of homeowners that pursue woodworking as a hobby then you have probably spent a good deal of time looking for plans for woodworking projects. Most wood projects you attempt should not be completed without adequate plans for woodworking. From my experience, you will have a better chance of finishing a wood project that you are proud of, if you have your plans for woodworking available to view while undertaking the wood project.
Yes there will be some of you who will try to wing it on your own without a set of plans for woodworking. However, I can tell you from my own experiences that it will most likely be more expensive and take you longer to complete than if you would just purchase plans for woodworking and follow them from the beginning. In the past, I have not always had good luck when searching for woodworking plans.
Just when I thought I had found a good woodworking plan I would find out it was not what I really needed. The woodworking plans required more skill or tools than I had and the plan cost more than I wanted to pay. However, I have learned a lot through the years and will share with you the necessary qualities you should look for when searching for woodworking plans to purchase over the internet.
The following can be used as a checklist to help you choose quality plans for woodworking:
- Are the plans for woodworking right for my level of expertise?
- Will I be able to finish this wood project in a timely manner?
- Am I doing this wood project purely for the enjoyment of woodworking as a hobby or am I doing this because I need this item? If you need the item in a timely manner you may be better off purchasing it at a store.
- Will my wood project be more expensive to make on my own or will I be able to purchase something similar to it for much less at a local store?
- Will my wood project be aesthetically pleasing inside the room? I remember my brother making a cabinet in high school shop class that was so large it hardly fit inside the house and after he left home he did not even have room for it in his own home. Lesson here, larger is not always better.
- Can my wood project be functional as well as aesthetically pleasing? For example, why would you make a simple corner desk when you can make a file cabinet that would double as a file cabinet and a corner desk if you find the right woodworking plan?
- Do the plans for woodworking provide step by step procedures and directions?
- Do the plans for woodworking provide a shopping list?
- Do the plans for woodworking provide materials and cutting lists? The very best plans will provide a key, description, and size for you to follow during the construction phase that match up with the step by step woodworking procedures, directions and exploded views.
- Do the plans for woodworking provide detailed drawings?
- Do the plans for woodworking provide exploded views and dimensions?
- Do the plans for woodworking provide quality draftsmanship? Can you actually read them?
- Are the woodworking plans offered at a quality price for what you are getting?
In conclusion, when searching for plans for woodworking you will have many decisions and choices to make. Please take your time and think the process through, write down what you want out of your woodworking plans and start from there. Use the above guidelines to provide you with an informed decision that you can use to make your future woodworking plans more enjoyable and fun. Just remember though, never start a wood project without first having your plans for woodworking lined up and ready to go.