BREMEN, Ga. (AP) — Officials say they suspect human remains found in western Georgia belong to a missing 31-year-old woman.
Jessica Earl, last seen in Tallapoosa, has been missing since June 2018.
Haralson County Sheriff Eddie Mixon tells local news outlets a property owner found a tattered backpack a few weeks ago. Inside was a wallet with Earl’s identification.
Authorities initially searched the property with cadaver dogs, but were inhibited by thick brush. On Thursday, someone found a human skull in an area a dog had shown interest in. Remains were sent to the state crime lab.
It’s unclear how Earl died. Police considered Earl’s boyfriend as a suspect, but he says he last saw Earl walking into woods under the influence of drugs. News outlets report the boyfriend remains jailed on other charges.
- Police: Man killed peeping tom outside girlfriend’s house
- Central AL Forecast: Thunderstorms, threat for severe weather Monday
- Sheriff: Skull likely belongs to woman missing since 2018
- Scottsboro Boys to get museum in Decatur
- Oklahoma’s Sooner Schooner tips over on field; no injuries