Diet pills for women work, but they have to be taken safely and complemented with a diet and exercise program. If you want your over-the-counter diet pills to effectually augment your weight loss regimen, you have to be guided by a qualified professional or health care provider. Consult your physician if you're planning to start a weight loss regimen. You have to consider your safety when reducing your weight especially if you have a medical condition and are taking other medications before resorting to the use of diet pills for women. What are some effective diet pills for women that can be bought over-the-counter?
- Alli or Orlistat. This is the only weight loss pill that has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Alli works like Xenical, although it is administrated in lower doses. Taking Alli prevents the absorption of fat into your digestive tract. Some precedents should be heeded, though, because investigation by the FDA is abouting the effects of Alli in liver damage. If you're taking Alli, be sure to consult your physician, especially if you have a history of gastrointestinal problems or liver damage.
- Green Tea Extract. For over 5,000 years, green tea extract has been considered effective for medicinal purposes. If you are overweight or obese, green tea extract can help you lose weight. Green tea has powerful fat-burning properties owed to its catechins content. It is a type of antioxidant. Green tea has high caffeine content, too, that's why side effects typically go with its use. If you are sensitive to stimulants, ask for the caffeine-free version of this product.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid. CLA works in weight loss by melting body fat and stimulating muscle genesis. CLA is a compound that's commonly found in cheeses, meats and some plant-based oils. There are few side effects when taking CLA for weight loss, however, complete evidence has yet to be established to prove its efficiency and safety.
- Hoodia. One of the most popular diet pills for women is hoodia gordonii, a kind of desert cactus plant. In South Africa among the San bushman tribe, hoodia is taken to defeat hunger during times of famine and long journeys in the desert. Hoodia works in weight loss by suppressing appetite and curbing food cravings for people suffering from binge eating disorder. Hoodia has the reputation of being a safe and effective weight loss product for women, however, evidence is not sufficient to prove its benefits and risks.
- Chitosan. As a weight loss product, chitosan works by limiting the absorption of fat into the intestines. However, more studies have to be related about its safety and efficiency in weight reduction. Chitosan comes in the form of a porous marine powder sourced from crustacean exoskeletons. Although diet pills for women containing chitosan have been found to have fewer side effects, it is possible to suffer from life-threatening allergies for people who are allergic to shellfish.
These are 5 of the most popular over-the-counter diet pills for women. If you plan to take any of these products to supplement your weight loss program, be sure to consult a physician.