One of the major symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is the gas buildup in the stomach. The gas, if not relieved, will cause cramping, colon spasm and major discomfort. Sometimes this can be so severe, that the IBS sufferer has to be confined to bed rest. Cumin – a common Indian herb may be the answer to removing the gas buildup. This is a natural method that provides a safe and easy approach to eliminating the gas build up in the stomach.
Cumin’s properties are stomachic, diuretic, carminative, stimulant and antispasmodic. It is valuable in dyspepsia diarrhea and hoarseness, and it is known to relieve flatulence and colic. Cumin is a stimulating medicinal herb and it contains compounds that fight inflammation, pain and swelling.
To make a tea with cumin, it is best to have the seeds that have been harvested from home-grown plants, like everything else. You can find cumin seeds in health food stores. To make a tea with cumin steep one teaspoon of dried and gently crushed cumin seeds in one cup of boiling water. Let the cumin seeds steep in the water for ten to twenty minutes.
After the gently crushed cumin seeds have been steeped for ten to twenty minutes, you should strain out the cumin seeds and drink the cumin tea. Drink one or two cups of the cumin tea a day to help relieve the swelling and inflammation. Sip the liquid while it is hot. Drink after a meal.
Cumin is believed to aid in the absorption of iron. If you have an iron deficiency you may want to try some cumin tea. So this is also good for women who are menstruating. Iron helps build blood cells.
Cumin is also good if you have indigestion or gas. If you are having trouble with indigestion or gas you may want to try some cumin tea to help relieve the indigestion or gas. This is what IBS sufferers know.
Other uses of Cumin:
- Roasted cumin seeds can also freshen the breath.
Chewing roasted cumin seeds can also heal soars in the mouth and reduce excess saliva.
- Cumin tea cures problems in the urinary tract, cleans the bladder and kidneys.
- Combined with fenugreek, they help to keep the prostate healthy and reduce problems in the male and female reproductive organs and urinary systems.
- A teaspoon of cumin boiled in water reduces pain in the body and acts as a natural sleep aid for those who have difficulty falling asleep.
- Cumin tea can be drunk to reduce the symptoms of common cold and sore throat.
- Cumin helps to remove excess phlegm and is thus good taken during allergy season or at the onset of a cold.
The main benefit of cumin as an IBS treatment is that it helps to regulate bowel function and can help to stop diarrhea by eating it with a bit of sugar candy. Cumin and fennel combined in equal parts and chewed or boiled as a tea help to promote digestion. Combined with turmeric and peppercorn it becomes a very good digestive aid and immune booster. Cumin can be chewed after a meal to promote digestion and reduce stomachache.