CORONADO, Calif. (AP) — Military officials say a Navy sailor died after a fall aboard an aircraft carrier at Naval Station North Island in Coronado, California.
The San Diego Union-Tribune reports the 21-year-old man fell from an aircraft elevator on the USS Nimitz late Friday. He died at a hospital early Saturday.
He was later identified as logistics specialist Seaman Juan José Garcia-Herrera.
The Navy twitter feed, flynavy, says the accident is under investigation.
Nimitz spokesman Ensign Bill Petkovski tells the Navy Times that the crew was making a port visit in San Diego following “routine operations” when the accident occurred.
The Nimitz left its Bremerton, Washington, homeport on Sept. 16 to conduct pre-deployment training off the California coast.
- Navy sailor dies after fall aboard carrier near San Diego
- Thousands of animals killed in Kentucky barn fire
- PHOTOS: Shelter in Del Rio is stocked with goods but few migrants
- Crews battle mobile home fire in Plant City
- Pit bull dies protecting Florida siblings from venomous snake