Chip sealing work on several county roads will start Monday in an annual project that will continue through early August, Boulder County’s Transportation Maintenance Division officials announced Thursday.
The work is scheduled from about 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays, and this year’s program is expected to last three weeks, weather permitting, officials said.
Officials said to aid in cycling safety and to help create a smoother ride, Boulder County uses a smaller chip size that creates a smoother surface and reduces wear and tear on bicycles.
Boulder County encouraged motorists and cyclists to avoid unnecessary travel on the affected roads on days that the chip application and sealing operations are taking place, since there may be travel delays.
Roads to be chip sealed and the tentative schedule over the coming weeks:
- Monday: 81st Street from Oxford Road going north; 51st Street. from Jay Road going north.
- Tuesday: Niwot Road from 73rd Street to U.S. 36; 65th Street from Nelson Road to St. Vrain Road.
- Wednesday: St. Vrain Road from 75th Street to 65th Street; Hygiene Road from 75th Street to Airport Road; Quail Road from Martin Street to 119th Street.
- Thursday: East County Line Road from Longmont’s city limits south; Oxford Road from 95th Street to U.S. 287.
- Friday: Sweeping as needed.
- July 22: 75th street from Colo. 66 to Woodland Road; Woodland Drive from 75th Street to 95th Street.
- July 23: 95th Street from Colo. 66 north to Yellowstone Road; 95th Street from Yellowstone Road north.
- July 24: Yellowstone Road to U.S. 287; 87th Street from Woodland to Colo. 66.
- July 25: North 83rd Street from Woodland Road north.
- July 26: Sweeping as needed.
- July 29: Overland Road from Balarat Road to Bar K Road
- July 30: Finish Overland Road
- July 31-Aug. 6: Fog seal all chipped roads.
More information about Boulder County’s annual chip sealing program, including a map of the street to be chip sealed this summer, can be viewed at tinyurl.com/y6a44gvz.